Motorcycle TypesPosted: August 10, 2008
Classic – Old style motorcycles, typically seen during the 60′s, 70′s, and 80′s. You may still see these on the roads today, and a few manufacturers still offer some of these models. The new ones typically offer the technology of the new engines combined with the “classic” style of the older motorcycles. Though many have no current production models, many samples of the 70′s and 80′s bikes can still be purchased used.
- Royal Enfield – Bullet models (500 Classic, 500 Deluxe, 500 Military, Electra X).
- Triumph – Bonneville, Scrambler, and Thruxton models.
Cruiser- A style similar to the classic though typically with a low seat height, and a more upright riding position. Chopper bikes also fit into this class.
- Harley-Davidson – Sportster, Dyna, Softail, and VRSC models.
- Honda – Cruiser models (VTX, Shadow, Rebel).
- Kawasaki – Cruiser models (Vulcan, Eliminator).
- Suzuki – Cruiser models (Boulevard).
- Triumph – America, Rocket, and Speedmaster models.
- Victory – All models except Touring (Custom, Muscle, Low, 8-Ball, Classic, Ness).
- Yamaha – All “Star” brand motorcycles (Stratoliner, Roadliner, Raider, Road Star, V Star, Warrior, VMax).
Dual Purpose – Motorcycles capable of riding off-road and on the street. Sometimes not much more than an off-road motorcycle with a headlight and turn signals.
- Aprilia – SXV models.
- BMW – Some Urban and Enduro models (G 650 Xmoto, G 650 Xcountry, G 650 Xchallenge, R 1200 GS Adventure, R 1200 GS, F 800 GS, F 650 GS).
- Buell – Adventure models (Ulysses XB12X and XB12XT).
- Honda – Some Off-Road models (CRF230L, XR650L).
- Kawasaki – Dual Purpose models (KLR 650, KLX 250S, Versys).
- Suzuki – Dual Sport models (V-Strom 1000 and 650, DR650 and 200, DR-Z400).
- Yamaha – Dual Purpose models (WR250, XT250, TW200).
Motocross/Off-Road – Specially built motorcycles for off-road use. Motocross models are racing versions. Neither are legal to ride on roads.
- Aprilia – RXV models.
- BMW – Some Enduro models (G 650 Xchallenge).
- Honda – Motorcross and Off-Road models (XR and CRF models).
- Kawasaki – Motorcross and Off-Road models (KX and KLX models).
- Suzuki – Motorcross, Supermoto and Off Road models (RM and DR-Z models).
- Yamaha – Motorcross and Off-Road models (YZ, WR, TT, PW).
Scooter – A small motorcycle, mainly for low-speed urban use. Many have automatic transmissions and smaller engines.
- Aprilia – Scooter and Scarabeo models (SR50, Sportcity, Mojito).
- Honda – Scooter models (Silver Wing, Reflex, Helix, Elite, Metropolitan, Ruckus).
- Suzuki – Scooter models (Burgman).
- Yamaha – Scooter models (Majest, TMAX, Zuma, Vino, C3).
Sport – This is a general classification as there are many types of Sport bikes, however they are all generally race-bred high-performance street motorcycles.
- Aprilia – All “R” models in the Road section (Tuono, RSV).
- BMW – Sport and High Performance models (R1200, K1200, F800, HP2 Sport and Megamoto).
- Buell – Sportbike models (1125R, Firebolt XB12R).
- Honda – Sport models (CBR1000RR, 919, Interceptor, CBR600RR).
- Kawasaki – Sport and Supersport models (Ninja, Z1000, ZZR600, Versys).
- Suzuki – Sportbike models.
Sport Touring – Basically a toned down Sport bike with areas for storing items on a trip. A bit more of an upright riding position.
- BMW – Tour models (R 1200 RT, K 1200 GT, F 800 ST).
- Buell – Adventure models (Ulysses XB12XT).
- Honda – Sport Touring models (ST1300).
- Kawasaki – Supersport Touring models (Concours 14).
- Triumph – Sprint and Tiger models.
Standard – A cross between a Classic and a Sport. Not as full-out as a Sport bike, not as relaxed as a Classic. Tend to have a blend of modern engine technology with a comfortable riding position.
- Aprilia – Road models (Shiver SL 750).
- BMW – Urban models (R 1200 R, K 1200 R).
- Buell – Street models (1125CR, Lightning XB12Ss, Lightning XB12Scg, Lightning XB9Sx).
- Honda – Standard models (Nighthawk).
- Kawasaki – Sport models (Versys).
- Suzuki – Standard models (B-King, Bandit, SV650, GZ250).
Touring – A larger bike, typically designed with built in storage. Designed for long trips.
- BMW – Tour models (K 1200 LT).
- Harley-Davidson – Road King, Street Glide, Road Glide, and Electra Glide models.
- Honda – Goldwing models.
- Suzuki – Touring models (Boulevard).
- Triumph – Rocket III Touring.
- Victory – Touring models (Vision).
- Yamaha – Royal Star models.